Thursday, January 26, 2006

Pity trades?

An update - I still haven't gotten the computer monitor that I have mentioned previously, so the train track is still on my desk at work and still up for trade. I have had some offers / interest, but nothing concrete has gone down just yet (you know, if you've been waiting for just the right moment before offering up your car, or something).

I did want to put out the question of pity trades. I know that way back in the day (my first post I believe) I mentioned that I was against pity trades. I still kind of am. But let me just explain why I'm feeling the need to revisit the issue. My mother-in-law is soon moving out of state. As part of the moving process, she is buying new appliances (stove, refrigerator/freezer, dishwasher) so as to aid in the selling of her house.

So, the last time we were over there (a week or so ago), she asked if we knew anyone that wanted them, or she also offered them to me as part of my trading. I think that this would clearly be a pity trade, at least from the standpoint that it seems that a train set does not have the same intrinsic value as a major appliance, and my MIL doesn't really want the train set (at least as far as I know). On the other hand, she doesn't really want these appliances either, and probably just wants them out of her house so she can get the new ones.

And of course, I certainly won't feel bad about this trade when I'm sitting back and watching my big ol' TV....

1 Comments:

Blogger Carolyn said...

certainly a large appliance could get us a used TV. But how on earth are we going to get a newer flat screen HDTV?

Thursday, January 26, 2006 10:55:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home